Cannington Buttress and Tailings Storage Facilities
Location: Cannington Mine
Services: CMT, Geotechnical, Engineering
Construction Sciences Unit:
This project was an expansion on the current mining works, and provided Construction Sciences with 2.5 years work, with earthworks for Cannington Cell 1 Buttress wall and the TSF Expansion 3 project. The works also included geotechnical input with the geotechnical team doing test pits and reports for future works.
Construction materials testing for works include the following:
• Investigate, develop and manage the borrow pit.
• Relocate and reinstate/ remove all impacted services, including vibrating wire piezometers and cabling/ terminal boxes, active and inactive pipelines, Telstra underground communications cable, access road diversions, pipelines, etc.
• Construct the Cell 1 buttress to a crest level of RL 268.5 m, including sand filters.
• Construct a rockfill and earthfill buttress in the Decant Dam. Note: the mine will maintain the Decant Dam in operation and it will be filled with water during the construction works.
• Construct the Cell 1 spillway, chute and stilling basin.
• Construct a new subsoil drain and seepage collection and interception system around the south-western and south-eastern corners of Cell 1.
• Construct road tie-ins between the top of the buttress and the existing embankment crest roads.
• Reinstate access roads and ramps impacted by the buttress construction.
*Stock image for illustrative purposes only